A consortium of Italy’s Webuild and Romania’s Tancrad has been selected by Romania’s transport and infrastructure ministry to build a 37.4km section of the Sibiu-Pitesti Highway in the south of the country.
Worth over €1bn, work on Lot 3 is 85% financed by the European Union with the remaining 15% coming from state funds.
Webuild has a 90% stake in the project, with Tancrad owning the remainder.
The road will cross the Carpathian Mountains between Cornetu and Tigveni, with 12.5km of bridges and viaducts and a 1.7km-long twin tunnel.
Lot 3 also includes a 23km double-lane highway, interchanges at Valeni and Cornetu, 18km of consolidation works, construction of a maintenance and control centre, an animal crossing over the Olt River and environmental preservation work.
When completed, the five-section, 122km Sibiu-Pitesti Highway will link central and western Romania to Europe’s highway network as part of the Rhine-Danube Corridor of the Trans-European Transport Network.
Webuild is already working on Lot 5 of the Sibiu-Pitesti Highway, located 10km from Lot 3.